Securing wordpress installation is the first thing that I do after installing wordpress. There are many security measures I take but changing default administrator username is the very basic and important security measure that people often forget about. Here I am listing down the steps that are required to change the username.
- Goto Users->Authors & Users to verify that you or your partner (if you have one) haven’t already change the default admin username. You should see admin listed under the Username.
- Now to change the username “admin” we have to run a MySQL query. There are two ways to do it. You can use PhpMyAdmin or login directly to your MySQL server and do it. Below I have listed both ways.
Change admin username using phpMyAdmin
The easiest way is to use phpMyAdmin. Follow the steps below to change username using phpMyAdmin.
- Login to your phpMyAdmin and select your wordpress database.
- Then click on the wp_users table under the tables list.
- Click the pencil icon just before admin username.
- Change admin entry under user_login to your desired admin username.
- Click the “Go” button. Thats it. You are done, now you can login with your new admin username
Change the admin username directly from MySQL shell.
- conntect to your MySQL server using mysql client.
- select your db by issue following command.
- Use the following query to change the default admin username to your desired username. In this case we will change it to “thewordpressguy“
- Thats it. You are done. Now you can login to your wordpress admin with your new admin username.
UPDATE wp_users SET user_login='admin' WHERE ID=1;
This was the first step that I take when I install wordpress. What is your first step after installing wordpress?